Mississippi Delta Chinese

Life in Chinese Grocery Stores

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Chinese Exclusion Act

Ken

I work at the National Archives regional branch in Seattle.  We have a large number, tens of thousands, of Chinese Exclusion Act case files.  A volunteer is slowly reading the files to create an index.  Unfortunately, without the index, the only way to find a file is know the case number.  Last week the volunteer showed me a file for Lou Yuck Hong re-entering the country in Seattle from China in 1932 on his way home to Coahoma.  His family had been there for at least three generations.  I just wanted to mention that family information can show up in unexpected places.  It certainly surprised me.  The files typically contain the interview transcripts and sometimes photos.  The interviews go into great detail about family history.

January 13, 2012 at 3:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John Jung
Site Owner

Ken at January 13, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I work at the National Archives regional branch in Seattle.  We have a large number, tens of thousands, of Chinese Exclusion Act case files.  A volunteer is slowly reading the files to create an index.  Unfortunately, without the index, the only way to find a file is know the case number.  Last week the volunteer showed me a file for Lou Yuck Hong re-entering the country in Seattle from China in 1932 on his way home to Coahoma.  His family had been there for at least three generations.  I just wanted to mention that family information can show up in unexpected places.  It certainly surprised me.  The files typically contain the interview transcripts and sometimes photos.  The interviews go into great detail about family history.

Fantastic news that will be of great interest to the Delta Chinese, Ken... many thanks for this stimulus!  My "impression" has been that quite a few Delta Chinese ancestors entered at Seattle than San Francisco. If so, that would be a fascinating topic for research.  I will share this info on a Facebook page for the Delta Chinese.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/msdeltachinese/

And, welcome to the site.  

John

--

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."  Santayana 

January 13, 2012 at 3:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.